Clay D. Lamberton was born in Tomah, WI on February 7, 1886. He attended school in the Wisconsin Rapids School District. Before entering the Milwaukee State Normal School (now known as UW-M), Clay taught at a rural school. After attending Milwaukee State Normal School, he taught in Florence County before meeting and marrying Janette Sale. They lived in Port Edwards, WI for a time and then moved to Berlin, WI in 1912. He became the Assistant Principal to Edgar Packard at Green Lake County Normal School and continued his own education at the University of Wisconsin, University of Colorado and at Ripon College.
Mr. Lamberton became the second Principal at Green Lake County Normal School from 1914 through 1920. In 1920, he went on to become the Superintendent of Berlin High School while teaching a full schedule of classes. Throughout his years as Superintendent, he presented 2,097 diplomas to Berlin High School graduates. Mr. Lamberton retired after 31 years of service in Berlin and moved to rural Wautoma in 1951.
When the new school for grades Kindergarten through 8th grade was built in Berlin in 1963, the school was named Clay Lamberton in his honor. He passed away on December 19, 1969 after a brief illness and is buried in the Oakwood Cemetery in Berlin.
Throughout Mr. Lamberton’s life he was involved in many organizations and had many accomplishments including the following:
~ Chairman of the committee that organized a Chapter of the American Red Cross for Green Lake County
~Installed movie projectors in rural schools
~Provided the first uniform textbooks for Green Lake County
~Arranged the first farm courses in the area and secured the county’s first farm agent
~Wrote a Civics textbook for use in high schools
~Planned the Little Ten Athletic Conference
~Served as National Youth Administration Director during the depression
~Served as Deputy Food Administrator during WWII
~Member of Chamber of Commerce
~Member of the Berlin Public Library Board
~Charter member and past President of the Berlin Rotary Club
~Member and Deacon of Union Congregational Church
~Member of Berlin Masonic Lodge 38